GEOS is an open source C++ library for working with geospatial geometry. Learn more on its homepage. This repo makes its C interface available through Swift Package Manager and CocoaPods so you can use it in your Swift or Objective-C project. It is commonly used via GEOSwift.
- iOS 9.0+, macOS 10.9+, tvOS 9.0+ (Swift Package Manager, CocoaPods)
- Linux (Swift Package Manager)
GEOS is licensed under LGPL 2.1 and its compatibility with static linking is at least controversial. Use of geos without dynamic linking is discouraged.
Installing with CocoaPods
use_frameworks! pod 'geos'
$ pod install
Installing with Swift Package Manager
Update the top-level dependencies in your
.package(url: "https://github.com/GEOSwift/geos.git", from: "7.0.0")
Update the target dependencies in your
Starting with tag 3.7.0 in this repo, the Podspec here should match the one in the CocoaPods specs repo. This has not always been the case. For example, the 3.5.0 tag in this repo does not actually represent what you get if you install 3.5.0 from CocoaPods. Alas, this situation should be remedied as we move forward.
Version 3.7.0 is based on the actually-published 3.5.0 podspec.
Through version 3.7.1, the version numbers in this repo were designed to match the corresponding version numbers in GEOS itself. Starting with version 4.0.0, we are breaking with this pattern and will instead use semantic versioning on this build configuration itself rather than trying to match the underlying geos version. This allows us more flexibilty to improve the build config independently of the geos release cycle.
The build configurations provided in this repo are licensed under the GPL 2.0. See LICENSE for full details.
The contents of the Sources directory are taken from the GEOS project which is licensed under the LGPL 2.1. See Sources/COPYING for full details.
The most common development activity is updating to a new version of GEOS. To get started:
- Install cmake:
$ brew install cmake
update.shto indicate the version of GEOS that you wish to use.
- Debug any issues. The script may need to be modified to work with newer versions of the library. Please keep it up-to-date so that we have a record of how to get from the GEOS source to the end result in this repo.
geos.podspecto ensure continued support for Swift Package Manager and CocoaPods.
- Test all your changes on the full matrix of supported configs (Swift Package Manager, CocoaPods) x (iOS, macOS, tvOS) + Swift PackageManager x Linux.
- Update the version numbers in
- Update this README with any relevant information.